Thursday, April 19, 2012

How Do I Join the National Guard?


I remember asking myself that question once upon a time more than a decade ago. It really is a pretty simple process to enlist, the more important thing it to be educated about your options.

First remember it’s a two way street, you have to want to join and the military has to have an open spot for you. Part of them “wanting” you involves taking and scoring well on the ASVAB, passing your MEPS physical, and not having a criminal history.

Next understand there are three completely different worlds in the military.

First - Active duty, where you wear the uniform every day, live where you’re told, and move when and where you’re told to. It’s a good life, especially if you are trying to get out and see the world. The Post 9/11 GI Bill comes standard with active duty. Three or more years of active duty equal full eligibility to it.

Second – Air National Guard, one weekend a month, two weeks a year. How long has that catchphrase been in commercials? Long enough for that to be just about the extent of the public’s knowledge how both the Army and Air National Guard work. You are part of a wing that is under the control of the governor of the state you enlist in. Your unit can be activated by either the governor (in response to a natural disaster) or the president to deploy anywhere in the world.

Finally - Reserve Units, very similar in concept to the Air National Guard, except you’re not attached to a state but rather an active duty base. You will train much more like an active duty troop, but still for just a weekend a month and up to an additional 15 days per year. I don’t have much experience on the Reserve side of the house so I’d appreciate hearing from someone who has served with the Reserves their thoughts on plusses and minuses.
If you join the Guard, you’ll go to Basic Military Training (BMT) alongside both active duty and reserve troops. BMT is 8 long weeks. About halfway through had I seen my recruiter I would have punched him in the face, 10 years later, when I see him, I tell him joining the Air Guard was the best thing I’ve ever done.

After BMT you head to the corresponding Technical Skills School, which is almost universally referred to as “Tech School” in the Air Force. This school can be as short as six weeks to over a year in length, depending on the requirements of your career. I enjoyed the heck out of tech school as a pipe-liner (meaning I came directly from BMT into the tech school environment). Your mileage may vary, but as with everything in life, it is what you make it.

If you’re interested in joining the guard head on over to www.goang.com or if you’re prior service looking to get back in www.goang.com/PS

From Mountain Home, AFB
As always, tell me what I forgot, what I missed, and what I flubbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment