Sunday, October 30, 2011

All Aboard the Shoe Leather Express

I've been driving since I was fourteen, as that was the legal age in the early 1990's back in Idaho, and I've had a car for all but four months since my senior year of high school. I sold my car before I left Idaho for my new job in Rhode Island. I had a rental car for the week before I started work to find a place to live and get settled in, but as of March 13, 2011 I was without wheels. So what have I learned?

First and foremost I'm still alive, so not having a car is not a fatal condition. Have there been times where it would have been more convenient to own a car? Absolutely. However, since I made this move to pay off debt, the savings in gas, parking, maintenance has definitely overshadowed any inconveniences. 

So, how do I get where I need to go? The Shoe Leather Express, as a TI used to say during Air Force Basic Military Training. As of October 30, 2011 I've logged 649 miles on Noom, a GPS application for Android. I've burned approximately 71,000 calories and lost 15 pounds, not a bad trade off for no car. I've walked to Seekonk, Massachusetts east, Lincoln, RI north, and Cranston, RI to the south. There really isn't a better way to learn a new city, than by walking it. As far as prepping goes, I know for sure that I can walk 10-15 miles with a decent load on any given day.

On the days it's too wet, too cold, or I simply slept in too long I take the bus. I don't enjoy the bus, at all, ever. But it's generally dry, and the bus system here in Rhode Island does have a bus running about every 10 minutes. (Have I mentioned how broke Rhode Island is?)



But what if I really need a car? I've whittled it down to two options, ZIP Car, which I've only used a handful of times. $50 membership fee, and $8 an hour to rent anytime (gas included!) It really couldn't be easier, reserve online, waive your RFID card over the reader in the windshield and drive away. Cheaper than a taxi, with none of the smell.

For the weekends I have Guard Drill I have rented a car from Thrifty. Weekend rates with taxes and gas fill up usually cost me about $65. For the extra income it's been a fair trade off for me.

In my next post I'll talk about the pack and the contents therein that have been with me all over my treks.

No comments:

Post a Comment