Friday, April 5, 2013

Everyday Carry - CamelBak Backpack


EDC Pack

I was issued this pack back in 2006. It sat, more or less, unused until I retired from coaching in 2010. I started riding my bike 8 miles each way to work and it became a fixture in my life. As my Go Bag, First Aid Kit, Suitcase, Get Home Bag, Lunch Box, Mobile Office, and Hydration Solution it did it all for me. 

I logged over 750 miles walking/hiking in Rhode Island according to my GPS App, all with at least 25 pounds in the bag. It has held it's shape, the stitching looks new on the entire pack, and nothing has failed on the pack, snaps, buckles, or zippers.

To give you an idea of the usable space inside I carry a large water proof Plano 1412 Shallow hard case inside it, with a change of clothes, mole skin, suture kit, aluminum splint, duct tape, Katakyn Filtration kit, and some fire starting materials. There are the Maxpedition Fatty and Pocket kit bags in there. Another Waterproof Hard Case from Outdoor Products that has my serious first aid supplies in it. A pair of Vibram 5 finger shoes. A hammock with bug net, 50 feet of 550 cord, and three carabiners. There are always a half dozen cliff bars in there as well. I do my best to cycle through those, but every once in a while I'll come across a really old one to gag down. 

Do I have too much redundancy in the pack? Absolutely, but here is my reasoning. I am used to carrying a heavy pack (minus water) if I ever have to rely on that bag to get me home it gives me three options. Cache things I deem unnecessary at the time (either in place or along the way, share with friends going a different direction, barter along the way. 

Pros and cons to the pack itself. Pros, bullet proof construction, MOLLE straps all over it that aren't noticeable until you're inside 10 feet. Great use of space. The hip belt does a great job of taking weight off your shoulders. Big plus, the Hydration Pouch is insulated well enough that if you fill the bladder with ice it keeps your water cold for a full 12-15 miles of walking on warm days.

Cons: The shoulder straps could be a lot more ergonomic. A few more interior pockets would make it easier to keep organized.  

I was recently issued an Urban Assault Pack from CamelBak that replaced the old MULE. I'll have a review up on it soon.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask questions or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment