Wednesday, May 2, 2012

To My Best Friend




The story that is told is that my mom went to his dad, father of 6 boys and coach of my little league baseball team, and said, “My son needs a friend.” To which his dad offered up his second born son and said, “Adam will be his friend. “

It’s been so long that I don’t remember exactly how our friendship formed. So cemented in my heart is that friendship that it is just inconceivable to me that it could ever cease to be, a bond so deep that I think of him as my brother.

He is the best man I have ever met. And I have known many good men.

While I have spent two decades with my head in the clouds chasing dreams and deep thoughts, he became a big oak tree in meadow. Planted, rooted, deep and strong – raising a family and building a life.

He has helped me move more times than I can remember, and each time we always had fun. Well, I had fun at least.

We have had our adventures, shooting, off-roading, and camping. There are details of a certain camping trip that I will take to my grave and keep from his wife. Thinking of that story, one that I have told and retold to other good friends, the story of “Just think positive” still makes me laugh out loud.

He baptized me into a new faith, and he has always lived his religion better than any man I know. His imperfections he knows, and works hard to balance them. I went from “knowing” to hoping as I lost my faith in God, in religion, but he’s never lost his faith in me.

I know that it’s been hard for him to see me stray from a path we both thought we’d walk together. Unlike so many of the self-anointed, he has walked the path beside me, lovingly as a servant of Christ always seeking to serve, never to judge.

Should I have a son, he will carry my best friend’s name, and hear often of what he must do to live up to his namesake.

He saw me come back from war a different man. I was lost for several years in my own mind, still fighting to come to grips with who I had become. Though I pushed him away, he never went too far. Just about every week since that time he’s invited me to church in a way so kind and humble that my weak way with words can’t do justice to.

He was the best man at my wedding. I think that he was happier for me on the happiest day of my life, than I was. That’s who he is.

When I went to Rhode Island to provide for a family I didn’t yet have claim to, he mowed their yard, put training wheels on bikes, and gave my wife peace of mind that all the money in the world couldn’t have bought.

I seek his counsel before that of old men, Doctors, and other wise men I know. I value his counsel and advice more than he will ever know.

When we are both gone my children will still know his story. I don’t know of a better gift that I could give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment