Saturday, May 5, 2012

Things I Learned in Providence


Thoughts on My Year in Providence



Rhode Island marked the ninth state I’ve lived in, and I’ve learned a lot about myself while I was here.

I learned that I really enjoy walking. Over 800 miles according to my GPS walking app.... I learned that a lot of folks here in Rhode Island view walking anywhere as the past time of the mentally ill… So even in the rough neighborhoods, people looked at me oddly and more or less left me alone.

Except, that is, for the Brown University Police. Apparently middle aged white dudes outfitted in North Face gear pose an especially insidious threat. I found myself assuming the “position” against a tree while needing to justify taking pictures of old buildings on the day I re-enlisted back in the Air National Guard. The irony was not lost on me.

I learned that the food scene in Providence is pretty fantastic.

I learned that the downtown area between the mall, Brown, and the Dunkin’ Donuts center is amazing on foot.

I learned the hard way that GroupOn more or less sucks.

I learned that a “Gagger” is not some sort of term from the adult entertainment industry, but rather Rhode Island’s idea of a chili dog. I believe that if you were blind drunk a gagger might just taste like heaven.

I learned that 15 miles is a long walk for a cheese burger.

I learned that wherever someone lives if they expect to meet friendly, helpful, and kind people you will. I’ve been lucky enough to meet and work with amazing people.

I learned not to get too close to Leprechauns. I also almost got in a fight at Wal-Mart with a Leprechaun in the self-checkout lane at Wal-Mart – because I went to stand in line at the register instead of waiting outside the queue. My guy Max was there to see this… 

I learned that everyone truly does equate Idaho with potatoes, and no one harbors ill will when you say Idaho, pity sometimes, but never ill will.

I’ve learned that sheep jokes don’t work too well outside of Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana.

I learned that people really don’t make eye contact in the east when in public.

I knew I had one of the best friends in the world. I learned I had the best – best friend in the world.

I learned that distance not only can make the heart grow fonder, but can be an amazing way to fall deeply in love with someone.

I learned that one man’s idea of a mountain is another man’s idea of a foothill.

I learned that home truly is where the heart is.


No comments:

Post a Comment